Centre of Excellence for Digital Preservation
Centre of Excellence for Digital Preservation is the flagship project under the National Digital Preservation Programme of Department of Electronics & Information Technology (DeitY), Government of India. This project is awarded to Human-Centred Design & Computing Group, C-DAC, India. It's objectives are as under -
- Conduct research and development in digital preservation to produce the required tools, technologies, guidelines and best practices.
- Develop the pilot digital preservation repositories and provide help in nurturing the network of Trustworthy Digital Repositories (national digital preservation infrastructure) as a long-term goal
- Define the digital preservation standards by involving the experts from stakeholder organizations, consolidate and disseminate the digital preservation best practices generated through various projects under National Digital Preservation Programme, being the nodal point for pan-India digital preservation initiatives.
- Provide inputs to Department of Electronics & Information Technology in the formation of national digital preservation policy and strategy by identifying and selecting the activities for the National Digital Preservation Programme.
- Spread awareness about the potential threats and risks due to digital obsolescence and the digital preservation best practice
Alliance for Permanent Access (APA)
The Alliance aims to develop a shared vision and framework for a sustainable organisational infrastructure for permanent access to scientific information. APA aims to -
- Support the development of a sustainable European Digital Information infrastructure that guarantees the permanent access to the digital records of science, whether documents or data, across all fields of research, scholarship and technology;
- Be a strategic partner for the Commission of the European Union and national governments in order to strengthen European and national strategies and policies and their implementation in the area of long-term preservation of and access to the digital records of science, thereby contributing towards Europe as an Information Society;
- Be a platform that will assist key stakeholders in the world of science and scientific information to cooperate amongst themselves and with other organisations on digital repositories for science;
- Strengthen the role of European parties in worldwide efforts to secure long-term preservation and access of the digital records of science;
- Be a global centre of excellence for digital preservation